Watson fired by Olympic ambition

30 June 2012 / 12:22

Britain's Heather Watson set her sights on Olympic glory following her third-round exit at Wimbledon.

Watson, 20, failed in her quest to become the first British woman since Sam Smith in 1998 to reach the fourth round of Wimbledon.

"I'll definitely be looking forward to the Olympics," Watson said. "I want to do well for Great Britain."

The Guernsey player failed to replicate her form from the first two rounds as she crashed to a 6-0 6-2 defeat to Polish third seed Agnieszka Radwanska on Centre Court.

The defeat would have normally signalled the end of the Channel Islander's grass-court season, but Watson will be back at Wimbledon next month to play in the Olympic doubles with 18-year-old Laura Robson.

The world number three broke Watson's serve three times during a subdued first set. The home crowd willed Watson on, but she could not capitalise on the two break points she earned, and Radwanska continued to return brilliantly.

Despite the comprehensive defeat, Watson was proud of her achievements. She had not won a match in the main draw at Wimbledon before this week and her dismantling of Iveta Benesova, a player ranked 48 places above her, was highly impressive, as was her clinical win over America's Jamie Hampton.

That victory had made her the first British woman to reach the third round in 10 years, and Friday'ss defeat to a two-time quarter-finalist was always the likely outcome for the world number 103.

"This has been a great learning experience for me. I will come back stronger," Watson said. "It's been my best Wimbledon so far. I want to keep coming back here.

"That first match on Centre Court (against Benesova) was huge for me. That'll be my best memory. I really felt the crowd this year more than in previous years. I just love the feeling. I want it more. I can't wait until next year."