Sixty-Four Youth Selected to Team GB

08 July 2011 / 13:00

The British Olympic Association (BOA) today announced the athletes selected to represent Team GB at the 11th European Youth Olympic Festival (EYOF) in Trabzon, Turkey between 23-30 July.

Team GB will consist of 64 athletes from the six sports of athletics, cycling, gymnastics, judo, swimming and tennis

The 2011 EYOF will see over 3000 athletes from 48 European countries assemble to compete in a total of nine sports: athletics, cycling, gymnastics, judo, swimming, tennis, basketball, handball and volleyball.

For all of Team GB’s competitors, aged between 13-17, this will be their first experience of a multi-sport environment and their first taste of Olympic competition.

Team GB Chef de Mission, Craig Hunter said:

“The European Youth Olympic Festival in Trabzon later this month is a fantastic opportunity for young athletes to experience high-level competition against Europe’s leading sport nations. It also offers these athletes a unique opportunity to participate in a multisport environment which is very much like the one they would experience at an Olympic Games.

“Many Team GB Olympians have already graduated from the EYOF to succeed at the Olympic Games. Rebecca Adlington attended 2003 EYOF and went on to win two gold medals at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games, in the 400m and 800m freestyle swimming events. I am hopeful this trend will continue towards London 2012 and beyond.

“Team GB has finished in the top three in the medal table at the past three editions of the EYOF and I am certain that this year’s team will do us proud!”

James Taylor, Athletics (Stoke on Trent) said:

“This is the first step towards my dream of emulating my sporting idol, Colin Jackson, and competing for Team GB at an Olympic Games. In Trabzon I would love to reach the final, do the best for my country and if all goes to plan win a medal.”

Sophie Papps, Athletics (Bracknell) commented:

“At the beginning of my season I didn’t imagine that I would be competing for Team GB at the European Youth Olympic Festival. I’ve had my best season to date and hopefully I can continue my form and produce my best on the day for Team GB. It will be an honour to compete for Team GB”

Jacob Scott, Cycling (Holmfirth) said:

“I am delighted that I have been selected to represent Team GB in Trabzon. Anything can happen on the day and everyone is competing to win, but I will ride for my life and give myself the best chance of winning a medal for Team GB possible.”

Frank Baines, Gymnastics (Liverpool) said:

“Having competed for British Gymnastics at the Junior European Team Championships last year I am thrilled to be competing for Team GB at the European Youth Olympic Festival later this month because it will be my first taste of Olympic competition and a multi sport event.”

Gabrielle Jupp, Gymnastics (Borehamwood) said:

“I am delighted that I have been selected to compete for Team GB in Trabzon as it is the first step towards making my dream of competing at an Olympic Games a reality. In Trabzon I am really excited about living in the Olympic village which means we get to meet and mix with other nations and cultures.”

Liam Donkin, Judo (Edinburgh) said:

It means the world to me to represent Great Britain at the European Youth Olympic Festival. With London 2012 just over a year away it is an honour to be selected to represent Team GB. I am inspired by the success that Euan Burton has had and hope that one day I can follow in his footsteps and compete at an Olympic Games.”

Hayley Willis, Judo (London) said:

After winning a bronze at the Cadet European Championships I am hoping that I can build upon that experience and maybe even contend for a gold medal in Trabzon. All my family are involved in Judo and I hope that I do can them and Team GB proud.”

Jessie Foster, Swimmer (Bradford on Avon) said:

“I am very excited that I have been selected to represent Team GB in Turkey. I have had an amazing season so far and cannot wait to compete against some of the best swimmers from around Europe. I want to rise to this opportunity, swim a PB and make the finals”

Matthew Johnson, Swimmer (Sheffield);

“I know the significance of this competition and I am sure that I will get more nervous once we are there, but I am very excited about the EYOF. I can’t wait to meet athletes from other sports as well as other European nations.

Lewis Roskilly, Tennis (Stevenage) said:

“I’ve had many highlights playing this season, and after watching another exciting Wimbledon Championships I am sure that Trabzon 2011 will surpass any other experience I’ve had”

Sabrina Federici, Tennis (Bolton) commented:

“Ultimately my goal is to go to Trabzon and perform to the best of my ability. My training has been going well and I am looking forward to getting out there and competing against some of the best tennis players at my age in Europe.”

The athletes selected for Team GB are: