Andy Murray’s hopes for a second US Open title may be over for another 12 months but he admits it’s his failure to extend his impressive record of reaching the latter stages of a Grand Slam which will be harder to swallow.
Not since 2010 has the British number one failed to appear in the last eight at tennis’ four major events.
However, that run came crashing to an end in New York last night as he fell to a 7-6, 6-3, 6-7, 7-6 fourth round defeat to big-serving South African Kevin Anderson.
Murray held a 5-1 favourable head-to-head against his opponent going into the match, but struggled to assert his game plan, only really threatening a comeback in the third set.
As it was, Anderson held off the challenge to wrap up victory in four hours and 18 minutes and Murray, who was playing in his 15th tournament of the year, was left to rue his early exit.
"That's obviously something that is disappointing to lose,” said Murray over his Grand Slam record.
"Many years' work have gone into building that sort of consistency. To lose that is tough.
“He is an excellent player. It came down to a few points here and there. He served extremely well as he normally does, and that was it.
"I was down two sets and a break and fought unbelievably hard to get myself back into it. I'm proud of the way that I fought right the way through to the end.
"I was trying to use the energy of the crowd as much as I could to help me. The atmosphere was very good.”
Murray does however have the chance to get back to winning ways shortly with Great Britain taking on Australia in their Davis Cup semi-final, starting on September 18.
"I've done my best in all the tournaments I've played this year," said the 28-year-old, who has already clocked up 69 matches in 2015.
"We've had a great run in Davis Cup and that was a huge priority this year, and now being in the semi-finals it's a great opportunity for us.
"I have played a lot and when Davis Cup is done, I won't play much after it through to the end of the year."
Murray’s exit came on the same day that Johanna Konta’s impressive US Open women’s singles run came to an end against Petra Kvitova.
The 24-year-old had been on a 16-match winning run, and beat 18th seed Andrea Petkovic in the previous round.
But two-time Wimbledon champion Kvitova proved too strong for the Brit, winning 7-5, 6-3 in the 23,000 seater Arthur Ashe Stadium.
Konta though refused to be too downbeat after fulfilling a childhood dream.
"My mum actually reminded me when I was speaking to her yesterday that when we were here back in 2007 for juniors, I said: 'This is like the most amazing stadium.' I completely forgot about that,” she said.
"I guess I had a little childhood dream come true, so that's pretty special.
"I'm just really looking forward to heading already to my next tournament.
"Obviously I need to take a little bit of a break now, just a couple days' rest, but I'm looking forward to the next plane I'm on to head to Asia."
© Sportsbeat 2015