Folkard beaten by Avitia

31 July 2012 / 11:38

Team GB archer Naomi Folkard exited the women's individual competition after losing her round of 32 match to Mariana Avitia.

Kidderminster bowman Folkard had performed well to claim a hard-earned victory in the first elimination phase, taking down Russia's Kristina Timofeeva 6-4, but was out-shot by her Mexican opponent in the next stage.

Avitia, ranked 10th in the competition to Folkard's 42nd, was a 6-2 winner against the home favourite - winning the middle two sets and drawing the first and last.

Folkard took a lead on the opening arrows, shooting nine to her opponent's eight but although the Briton's second shot landed in the centre, successive maximums from Avitia ensured a drawn first set.

The Mexican continued her good form in the second set, again reeling off successive 10s followed by a nine. Folkard shot well, including one inner ring of her own, but could not do enough to prevent falling 3-1 behind. Avitia's next three shots tallied 27 from a possible 30 and a closing eight left Folkard one short to lose two more set points.

She needed to win the next to extend her stay at the Games but another slip into the eight ring saw her halve the fifth for a 6-2 loss. The 28-year-old, in her third Olympics, had earlier impressed against the highly-rated Timofeeva.

Russia had knocked Team GB's three out in the women's team event but Folkard was able to exact a measure of revenge with her 6-4 win. She started nervily with a wide seven and lost the opening set but took advantage of two eights by her rival to go level at 2-2.

A perfect set of 10, 10, 10 restored Timofeeva's lead but Folkard showed her nerve to take the next two sets to set up her match against Avitia.

Alison Williamson, one of the record-equalling six-time British Olympians on duty in London, followed Folkard out of the competition with a first-round defeat.

Having placed a disappointing 47th in the ranking round, she faced the 18th seed - Mongolia's Bishindee Urantungalag - in the round of 64. Stafford-based Williamson won the first set with 27 from a possible 30 points but eventually fell to a 7-3 defeat as Urantungalag won the last three sets.