British Basketball has won a reprieve for funding by UK Sport following a successful appeal.
The sport had its £8.5million funding completely cut in December after the British men’s team won one of their five games at the London 2012 Olympics and the women lost all of theirs.
However British Basketball appealed the decision and have now earned a one-year reprieve from UK Sport, although they have not been told how much they will receive.
There could be more good news if they fulfil UK Sport’s performance criteria after that initial year with the sport to earn funding for the following three years towards the 2016 Rio Olympics.
UK Sport will also revisit with beach volleyball the costs of operating a small squad programme for two athletes.
Baroness Sue Campbell, Chair of the UK Sport Board, said: “I appreciate this has been, and continues to be, a very difficult time for those sports and athletes with no funding.
“I speak on behalf of UK Sport’s Board when I say that we would like to thank those who presented to us on Wednesday for their commitment to the process and clear dedication to their athletes.
“We want to make it clear that we do not consider any of the non-funded sports to have failed. In fact most have made significant progress within this unique period whereby they were funded exceptionally given it was a home Games.
“Our decisions have been made on the detailed assessment of a sport’s future potential for medal success in Rio 2016 or 2020. The Board were assured by the level of detail that had been explored throughout the Rio investment process.
“These are tough decisions that the Board have to make to ensure our resources are focused on supporting every credible medal opportunity for the 2016 or 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games.”
© Sportsbeat 2013