Hoy backs Kenny over Olympics selection
July 19, 2012 21:22 pm
Sir Chris Hoy has given his full backing to Jason Kenny after the Bolton rider denied him the the chance to defend all three of his Olympic titles in London.
British Cycling have confirmed that Bolton rider Kenny had been picked ahead of the 36-year-old Scot to represent Team GB in the individual sprint event, leaving Hoy to compete in the team sprint and the keirin.
Hoy beat Kenny, 24, to the gold medal in Beijing four years ago, and they have been evenly-matched over the last four years.
But with UCI rules dictating that only one rider from each nation can compete in the sprint at the London Games, one of them had to miss out.
British Cycling performance director Dave Brailsford had elected to leave the decision as late as possible, but Kenny has been given the nod after he finished in second place ahead of Hoy at the World Championships in Melbourne earlier this year.
Kenny will join Hoy as part of the men's team sprint alongside Philip Hindes and reserve Ross Edgar.
Despite his disappointment at missing out, Hoy said he had no qualms with the decision and is backing Kenny to take on allcomers at the Games, including France's reigning world champion Gregory Bauge.
Hoy said: "We found out a few weeks ago, it was not out of the blue now. We were told that if things did change they would not hesitate to change the decision.
"But as it stands we have both improved at the same kind of rate so Jason thoroughly deserves it, he has performed really well at the World Championships and he has stepped it since then as well.
"I don't want to jinx him or say too much too soon but the rest of the world had better watch out as he is going exceptionally well."
Copyright © Press Association Ltd. 2012, All Rights Reserved.