Murray through to tennis quarter-finals

01 August 2012 / 18:41

Andy Murray fought back from a set down to defeat Marcos Baghdatis 4-6 6-1 6-4 and reach the quarter-finals of the Olympic men's tennis singles tournament at Wimbledon.

The third seed looked in trouble early on but turned things around in the middle of the second set and there were no real alarms as he came through in three sets.

Murray is now only two victories from a first Olympic medal and will play Spanish 11th seed Nicolas Almagro in the last eight on Thursday.

Murray had breezed through his first two matches against Stanislas Wawrinka and Jarkko Nieminen but, with the Centre Court roof open and a stiff breeze blowing, it immediately became clear this would be very different.

The home favourite looked nervous and Baghdatis seized the initiative with a break of serve. Murray retrieved that in the fourth game but the match was still being played on the Cypriot's terms.

Baghdatis moved ahead again in the seventh game and, although Murray saved two set points on his own serve, he could not prevent his opponent taking the opening set.

The third seed moved closer to the baseline at the start of the second set and he got his reward, although he needed a gift from Baghdatis, who netted a forehand with the court gaping to hand Murray a 3-1 lead.

The Scot then fought back from 0-30 down in the next game and that seemed to relax him. A second break followed immediately and then the set. Baghdatis had rather fallen apart after such a bright start and Murray made it six games in a row at the start of the third with another break, winning the opening point courtesy of a full-length diving volley.

It was a real crowd-pleaser, and Murray was being roared on by the Union Flag-waving masses on Centre Court. The only frustration for the 25-year-old and his fans was that he did not manage another break in a third set he dominated, but one was enough as he clinched victory with a forehand winner after an hour and 59 minutes.

Baghdatis threw everything into the last game, leading 15-30 at one point, but it was not enough.