Divers Join Team GB for London 2012 Olympics

11 June 2012 / 12:00

The British Olympic Association (BOA) has announced today 12 athletes officially selected to represent Team GB in the sport of diving at the London 2012 Olympic Games.

The squad includes 2009 World Champion and 2010 double Commonwealth Games Champion Tom Daley, 18, who is selected for his second Olympics to compete in both the men’s 10m individual competition, and together with Peter Waterfield, in the men’s 10m synchronised event.

Waterfield is the most experienced British diver selected and will compete in his fourth consecutive Olympics. At the Athens 2004 Games he won Team GB’s first diving medal since 1960 alongside Leon Taylor in the 10m synchronised event.

Tonia Couch and Sarah Barrow will go into London 2012 full of confidence in the women’s 10m synchronised event after making history by becoming Britain’s first women’s European Diving Champions in Eindhoven last month.

Nick Robinson-Baker and Chris Mears are selected in the men’s 3m synchronised event after claiming their third consecutive men's 3m synchro title at the British Championships, which took place in Sheffield this weekend.

One of the youngest members of the squad is Jack Laugher, 17, who demonstrated his potential by winning the British men’s 3m springboard title on Saturday and Stacie Powell helped to secure her place on Team GB with victory in the women’s 10m individual event.

The divers selected to Team GB today are:

• Tom Daley – 10M Individual and 10M Synchronised
  • Peter Waterfield – 10M Individual and 10M Synchronised
  • Chris Mears – 3M Individual and 3M synchronised
  • Nick Robinson-Baker – 3M Synchronised
  • Jack Laugher – 3M individual
  • Alicia Blagg – 3M Synchronised
  • Rebecca Gallantree - 3M Synchronised
  • Hannah Starling – 3M Individual
  • Tonia Couch – 10M Synchronised
  • Sarah Barrow – 10M Synchronised
  • Stacie Powell – 10M Individual
  • Monique Gladding – 10M Individual

CLICK HERE to view full profiles

The addition of the 12 divers brings the total number of athletes officially selected to compete for Team GB at London 2012 to 207 across 18 sport disciplines: archery, athletics – marathon, badminton, boxing, canoe slalom, diving, fencing, hockey, modern pentathlon, rowing, sailing, shooting, swimming, synchronised swimming, table tennis, taekwondo, triathlon and weightlifting.

The athletes were formally nominated to the BOA for selection to Team GB by British Swimming, the National Governing Body for all aquatics disciplines in the UK.

Team GB Chef de Mission Andy Hunt said:

“British divers have recorded many exceptional results over the past four years since the last Olympic Games in Beijing and I believe the thousands of fans who will fill the fantastic London 2012 Aquatics Centre will experience some great competition this summer.

“As one of the best known faces of Team GB, Tom Daley has created a great deal of interest and excitement in diving and I am confident that the performances of all the athletes in the team will help to inspire many more people to become involved with diving and leave a lasting legacy for the sport.”

“We are delighted to welcome this talented group of divers to Team GB on the day that the number of athletes selected to Our Greatest Team passes the 200 mark.”

Team GB Diving Head Coach Alexei Evangulov said:

“I am really pleased to see a strong set of athletes that have today been selected on to Team GB. We have a good mix of youth and experience on the squad with half of the athletes going to their first Olympics.

"To compete at a home Olympics is a special experience and I think that the divers will get a boost from the home crowd support.

"The results of the British Championships 2012 have impressed me greatly. I have never seen such a high quality of diving at the National competition. I am pleased to say that I am also proud of our coaches who have been so motivated. They approached this event with highest level of professionalism.

"We have also had some excellent results this year with one of our most successful showings at a FINA World Series and European Championships with medals coming in more than one event showing the depth we have within our squad.”

Tom Daley said:

“I am really excited to be part of Team GB for the London 2012 Olympics. To be able to say that I will be competing in front of that home crowd is amazing.

“I can’t wait to see the home crowd. There’ll be 17,500 people all behind us wanting us to do well and I can’t wait to hear the noise they’ll make.

“A home Games is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I really can’t wait to get onto those boards at the Aquatics Centre again.”

Tonia Couch said:

This year has been really good for Sarah and I, we are World Cup bronze medallists and European Champions and now we are both part of Team GB for London.

“I remember Beijing so well and that was an amazing experience but I think London will top that for me. It was so loud every time the Chinese divers came out and I know it will be just as loud for us in London. The home crowd will really spur all of us on.”

Jack Laugher said:

“To be going to my first Olympics which will be a home Games is something I could only have dreamt of and now I am on the team list I am really excited.

“Competing at the World Championships and the World Cup in this last year was great for increasing my experience and I think that helped me keep my cool at the trial event this week.

“A home Olympics is something I will remember for the rest of my life and I just want to go out there and try my hardest and enjoy every moment of it.”

Monique Gladding said:

“I am really over the moon to be part of Team GB. It is going to be such an honour to represent Great Britain at a home Olympics.

“Since the disappointment of not making the Beijing team I have had many ups and downs to get to today’s announcement. I was making real headway until Feb 2011 and then I had my accident which threw me yet another curve ball. It has taken a lot but I am now fully back, ready and excited to put on my Team GB Tracksuit. I really can't wait to be back on the boards in London competing in front of an amazing home crowd. It really is a dream come true."