Baku 2015: McCormack marches on but Buatsi bows out

18 June 2015 / 07:38

Luke McCormack has bad news for his European Games rivals, the lightweight boxer insisting he is only just getting warmed up after breezing through his first test.

The 20-year-old faced off against Panagiotis Matsagkos of Greece in his round of 32 clash and didn’t put a foot wrong as he won all three rounds.

Next up for McCormack is Frenchman Sofiane Oumiha in the round of 16 on Saturday, with the Brit adamant there is plenty more to come.

“I felt good but I felt I couldn't get out quickly and was sitting about for a while but I'll be 100 per cent better in my next fight,” McCormack said.

“I felt a little bit stale but now I have had that one out the way I'll be fine. Hopefully I'll get the win in the next round as well.

“I felt like I was in control but I didn't want to switch off in case he got on top of me and had another gear but I always comfortable.”

While there was plenty for McCormack to celebrate, teammate Joshua Buatsi fell at the first hurdle in the light heavyweight category.

Buatsi went up against home favourite Teymur Mammadov and failed to spoil the party, losing all three rounds.

“I was looking forward to getting in there, it was loud and buzzing and I was up for it,” Buatsi said. “It was a great experience, my best experience so far.

“I performed and that was what we were looking for, we wanted the win but we didn't get it but we got the performance and that's what we wanted.

“The crowd gave me a buzz and I really enjoyed it. I will go back now, listen to what the coaches say and use it to move forward.

“Hopefully I can reach the Olympics, that's my aim now and I just need to listen to what the coaches say and build on this.”

© Sportsbeat 2015