Murray in a hurry

Andy Murray raced into the third round of the US Open with a comfortable victory over Croatia's Ivan Dodig under the lights on Arthur Ashe Stadium.

The third seed had been a little off colour in his first round match against Alex Bogomolov even though the scoreline was comfortable and his second round performance was certainly an improvement.

Murray, who next faces either Feliciano Lopez or fellow Spaniard Pablo Andujar, broke the Dodig serve six times in total on his way to a 6-2 6-1 6-3 victory.

The Scot was happy with his performance, saying: "I thought I played well. There were a lot of long rallies. I moved my feet pretty well tonight, played well."

Murray had lost his opening two service games on Monday but it was a different story as he immediately threatened the Dodig serve. The Croatian completely missed the ball at the net at one point and Murray soon broke through to lead 2-1 when his opponent blazed a forehand long.

Dodig is ranked a lowly 118th but last year he was on the verge of the top 30 and beat Rafael Nadal before a back problem stalled his progress. The 27-year-old attacks the net a lot but Murray loves a target and he broke again to lead 5-2 with a forehand pass and then comfortably served out the set.

Murray was playing much closer to the baseline than he had against Bogomolov and piling the pressure on Dodig from the back of the court. He broke serve for a third time at the start of the second set when Dodig missed a forehand, and the set was all but over four games later when Murray broke again.

Dodig had a tough climb up the professional ladder, many times finding himself unable to pay for anywhere to stay, and he does not lack fight. But he simply could not handle Murray's game, the 25-year-old striking the ball extremely cleanly and, after 70 minutes, it was two sets to love as he made it four games in a row.

The only thing holding up Murray was the delay after many of the changes of ends while spectators took their seats, and the Olympic champion continued his march in the third set. He broke again to lead 3-1, showing off his famous defensive skills with some brilliant retrieving finished off with a forehand pass that flashed beyond the reach of Dodig.

Dodig's last chance arrived in the seventh game when Murray lost his concentration slightly and coughed up two break points - only his second and third of the whole match. Both times Dodig's forehand let him down, though, and Murray served out the victory after an hour and 51 minutes.